Detailed plans for an ambitious redevelopment of Beltway Plaza will soon be weighed by the Prince George’s County Planning Board. If approved, construction at the site could begin within a year.
The six phase redevelopment would eventually demolish the mall and add between 875 and 2,250 multi-family husing units and would replace the 800,000 square-foot central mall with between 435,000 and 700,000 square feet of commercial retail space.
The first phase calls for the construction of a three multifamily apartment buildings with a total of 750 units, a 92-room hotel and a 27,000 square foot recreation center. The last time we heard about this project, the mall’s ownership group — Silver Spring-based Quantum Cos. — was soliciting feedback on the finer details of their detailed site plans.
Crucially for any retailers inside the mall: the current mall structure will not be touched during the first phase of the redevelopment. Rather, the first phase is focused on a sparsely-used parking lot on the northern side of the mall, fronting Breezewood Drive.
The plans recently received the conditional blessing of the Greenbelt City Council, with some reservations from City Council members, according to the Greenbelt News Review.
The project goes before the Prince George’s County Planning Board at its Sept. 9, 2020 meeting.
- June 11, 2018: Rethinking Greenbelt Road
- Nov. 26, 2018: Beltway Plaza mall mixed-use redevelopment in the works
- Dec. 7, 2018: With Beltway Plaza redevelopment in play, a new vision for Greenbelt Road emerges
- Dec. 11, 2018: Doc Drop: Beltway Plaza conceptual site plan application filed
- Jan. 9, 2019: Beltway Plaza owners add to Greenbelt Road holdings
- Jan. 11, 2019: Beltway Plaza update: Hearing pushed back as Greenbelt Council weighs proposal
- Feb. 11, 2019: Greenbelt grapples with Beltway Plaza redevelopment
- Feb. 12, 2019: Beltway Plaza redevelopment gets ‘conditional’ support of Greenbelt Council
- March 14, 2019: Beltway Plaza overhaul conceptual plans approved
- Oct. 25, 2019: Mixed-use Beltway Plaza redevelopment takes next step
- Jan. 21, 2020: Redeveloping Beltway Plaza axes townhomes from plans
- Feb. 10, 2020: Beltway Plaza Plannig Board decision delayed
- Feb. 12, 2020: Greenbelt Blesses Beltway Plaza redux, with conditions
- Feb 24, 2020: Planning Board approves Beltway Plaza redevelopment concept
- Nov. 2020: Greenbelt officials say Beltway Plaza plans need work.